Friday, January 15, 2010

Will I Ever Stop Counting?

Levi is gone for his third night away with his dad.  I wonder when I'll lose count or when I'll just stop keeping up with it.  He seems to be quickly adjusting to the new arrangement, and he even seems happy with it.  Which is surprising considering his initial reaction to spending the night.

I've been wanting to make something special for Levi to take with him on these overnight visitations.  I thought about making a regular old softie, but he has plenty of those.  Then I thought I should make him a star because, oh, my, he is crazy about stars.  But then I remember a project for a family heart in Amanda Soule's lovely book Handmade Home.  So, now he has a stuffed heart...with a star...and a pocket....

It's made from a thrifted red cashmere sweater, a scrap of white cotton, and some scraps of felt. 

Amanda suggests putting little notes inside the pocket for traveling family members.  However, Levi is a bit young for that.  Instead I put a favorite photo of the two of us (with an "I love you, little bear" written on the back of it).  Other things I'll be stuffing in the pocket during these pre-reading days:
~Tiny softies (maybe a little star or a small bird)
~Mama made drawings
~A tape or voice recorder of me reading a story or just saying "I love you"
~Maybe even a little, tiny bit of candy every so often

Any other ideas?

7 comments:

  1. Sweet! Such a lovely idea. I've been wanting to get a look at Handmade Home, but haven't been able to get it through our library. May have to be a little after-Christmas gift to myself.

    Glad to hear Levi is adjusting to the visits. Hope it gets easier for you soon. **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thought. I have "mini" nursery rhyme books that Violet loves to look at - you might see if you could find some of those to include with the recording of you reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet! I'm sorry Levi has to be away from you for overnight visits, it must be so hard. It's good you're sending him with little reminders like the heart to let him know how much his mama loves him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good mommy you are. I think that is just perfect. And I think it's really funny and cute that he loves stars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Madeline, this will just be perfect! No matter what you put in it!

    Nell

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!