Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Ring: Sort Of

Stephan happens to be a very smart man.  When he asked me to marry him there was no ring involved...just the question.  He wanted me to pick out my own ring.  See...told ya...he's smart, huh? 

So, I looked at rings.  And, I looked at rings some more.  And, I kept looking.  They were really pretty, but I just didn't want any of them.  I've gotten used to toddler chasing, dish washing, laundering, and digging in dirt without any ring to worry about.  Honestly, I like it that way, and after all of that looking I decided I wanted to keep it that way.

But, don't think Stephan got off light on this one.  Instead of an engagement ring I opted for an engagement sewing machine....a Bernina to be exact.  I'd sewn on a Bernina before and thought I had landed in sewing heaven.  When I started considering what I really, really wanted instead of a ring, a Bernina was first on the list.

I knew it was meant to be, when we totally lucked out on our trip to the Bernina store.  We got there during the final days of an incredible sale.  Their Activa 230 was marked at nearly 1/2 off...plus it came with two upgrades that made it nearly identical to the Activa 240.  Stephan still wanted to make sure that this was the Bernina of my dreams and not just the price tag that I wanted.  It totally was.  And, I'm totally in love....with the man more than the machine...I swear!  Ha!  And, Stephan keeps telling me that I'm going to have to walk down the aisle holding my engagement "ring".  What a picture!

We ordered the machine immediately, and although it's in the store one of the upgrades is on back order.  I hope it gets here soon.  I have all sorts of plans for this baby!

As for my lovely, 12 year old Singer, I'm thinking about taking it in to be serviced, and then putting it away to be my new/old back up machine.  I currently have a cheapo machine as a backup.  It's destined for Craig's List.

16 comments:

  1. Wow that is a gorgeous sewing machine!

    I know what you mean about engagement ring+toddler, Tim bought me a beautiful ring which I love but I just find myself taking it off every time we paint/play with cornflour/I wash up/bath time, then forgetting to put it back on :( I will definitely be opting for a plain wedding band-it is also painful when it turns round because my hands are cold and my well meaning sweetie gives my hand a loving squeeze... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That. is. AWESOME! I am so excited for you. Getting a new sewing machine is so much fun. And you don't have to worry about losing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! That's awesome! I'd take a Bernina over a ring any day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will bring you and your home years of crafty wonderfulness. What could be a better symbol of a life together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that machine looks incredible!
    You better sew him something extra special :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That makes me laugh. I asked for a mountain bike instead of a ring (finally just bought it myself eight years later). :-) We finally settled on something that wouldn't snag or gouge. Ha! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He really gets you doesn't he? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why I love you so much! ;) And I'm so happy that you found such a great match in the opposite sex.

    Your Friend,
    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  9. I clicked over from Steph's blog/comments because your name is Madeline - that's my first daughter's name (age4) and so I had to "see".

    I also love to sew and those felt eggs, well, I think I need to make some of those.

    I'll be back!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it's a perfect fit, hard to lose, will be sparkly for a long time and you can still use it if your fingers ever puff up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know much about sewing machines, but yours looks stunning and really exciting. I bet you can't wait to use it! What a wonderful engagement gift for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great!

    I didn't really want an engagement ring either, so I appreciate this tale!

    (Not to say I don't love my ring, I do very much! More for what it represents than for the bling factor though.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I adore this post. I am not an engagement ring kind of girl, but I so wish that I had thought of something like this when the husband was picking things out. This is just great

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I am so jealous. Way to go!
    You sound like me. I love my ring for sentimental value, but I think they are such a waste of money. And totally not practical. I barely wear mine around the house, because I am constantly cleaning and cooking and wiping dirty bums.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this story!

    I have an engagement ring, but I never found a wedding band that I liked to go with it. So I just went without. Some people find that strange, but honestly, I don't care what they think...I'm the one who has to wear it, and I like it just by itself!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!