Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oh. My. I'm Glad That Ended Well

Our day got off to a good start.  Levi and I met Stephan for breakfast and then headed to pick out wedding bands.  Levi ran around like a crazy person the whole time, but still it was fun.  And, one more thing got checked off of the wedding to do list. 
We went our separate ways...Stephan to work; me and Levi to run an errand before heading home.  Our errand went smoothly.  Levi even calmed down, so I didn't have to chase him around the entire store.  It wasn't too long before we were happily headed home.   Sounds like a nice morning, huh?
It was...until I managed to lock Levi in the truck in our driveway.  If anyone finds my brain floating about please reign it in, and ship it back. My parents weren't at their house, and I couldn't find any spare keys, and nobody was answering their cell phones, and my dad's secretary told me that he had just left the office that very minute to head home because he forgot his wallet...thank the good Lord in heaven, but his office was still half an hour away, and my sweet little fella was trapped in the truck totally not understanding why he couldn't get out, and yes, I seem to be going for the world's longest run on sentence.  My apologies to my English professors who really tried so hard.  So, I flagged down the neighbors, and four men came over and crawled all over that dang truck and stuck coathangers in it every which way they could, but those locks wouldn't budge.  Levi was briefly entertained by what I assume he perceived as a bunch of crazy people.  But, the tears eventually started falling, and the poor munchkin kept telling me he wanted out.  And, y'all I felt kinda helpless standing there telling him that I was sorry.  Anyway, finally my dad drove up to the rescue with a spare key.  When I pulled Levi out of the car he was sweating, and it was uncomfortably warm in there.  I knew that cars heated up quickly, but it was only 60 F outside on an overcast day.  I was really surprised.  If this ever happens in warmer weather I'm breaking the window.
To recover we spent the next hour or so cuddled up on the bed watching Happy Feet.  Levi calls the penguins "ping-wings."  Luckily, little munchkins are wonderfully forgiving, so no grudges against his mean mama's lack-o-brain.  I think I might go curl up in the bed next to him and join him in a nap.  Napping sounds good right about now.

12 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm so sorry! That is the worst feeling a mom can have. My son locked me out of the house when I was getting the mail. It was 30 below and we don't have a spare key for this place (we're renting). So, I was yelling at him to turn the knob and he couldn't do it. Then he was crying and I was yelling. It was awful. I'm pretty sure the neighbors think I have Turrets Syndrome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no I'm glad you are both ok! I once had to climb in through my car boot as I'd stupidly given Lillie my keys to play with whilst Tim and I got the buggy out of the boot, Tim and I both locked out doors out of habit it was certainly a *doh! moment xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack, so NOT fun for mama! And no fun for Levi either, poor little guy.
    Yes, a nap sounds like just the thing after such a stressful event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww that sucks.
    I am glad you both survived it alright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you poor thing! i'm so glad to hear you both are doing okay and that all was forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad this story had a happy ending too! So far I've only managed to lock my keys in the van...but I dread the day when or if I ever accidentally lock my kids in the van!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really glad to hear he wasn't stuck for long...but I am so perplexed. HOW did he get stuck in the trunk? It's not an easy scenario to picture.

    That's certainly a story for the record books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yana,
    The trunk would be pretty crazy, but he was stuck in his carseat in the truck! :)
    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an ordeal!

    PS A big congratulations on your engagement- it's so exciting! I haven't been around blog land for a while, and there is a lot of catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always so afraid that I'm going to accidentally do this exact same thing. I was surprised to hear that he was hot. That's good to know in case I ever do this. I'm with you...I'm busting the window! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a scary experience for you both. I am so glad you are ok. I lock my keys in the car and I've locked myself out of the house. My brain likes to float away sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so scary. I'm glad your Levi is safe and sound.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!