Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wedding Updates and Munchkin Attire

So far almost everything about this wedding has been ridiculously easy breezy.  Lots of wonderful people have volunteered to help out doing everything from taking pictures to lending serving pieces to helping set up.  My dress and shoes were found in record time.  Even the blood tests went smoothly...if you know me you know this is a miracle.  It's so rare for someone to find a vein in my arm without extraordinary amounts of pain and often digging.....seriously, people, blood work is something I dread like nothing else.  But this time it was quick and painless.
So, things have been falling together with little to no effort....except for the invitations and the flower girls' dresses.   Oh. my.  The invitations deserve their own blog posts, but I'll keep it short.  Thanks to a very wonderful family friend they got done.  Now, I just have to mail them!  I know, I'm a tad behind on that one.
The dresses!!  Who knew it could be so difficult to find little girl dresses?  Maybe I just don't know where to look, but the selection was so terribly slim.  And, EVERYTHING was sleeveless...in January!!!  Do little girls not need sleeves in the middle of winter?  I did finally piece together two outfits. (I should probably break in here to explain that there is a pair of sisters who are very close to my heart.  I couldn't pick just one.)  Anyway, with a little sweater shopping, which was oddly also difficult in JANUARY, mixed with a little craftiness I finally came up with something that I like. 

Dress 1:  This is for the oldest sister.  This dress is not as gold and shiny as it looks in the photo.  It's actually a very pale champagne.  I didn't have to do anything with this one except find a sweater.  I so wish I had taken pics while the girls were actually in their dresses!  They were so darn cute. 
Untitled-4
Dress 2:  This is the dress that required the most work.  I couldn't find matching dresses or even dresses in the same color family.  I couldn't even find less dressy dresses. This shopping experience left me hoping that I have all boys because I obviously can't shop for girls.  Anyway, this was the original dress...in purple...so not the wedding color...
Untitled-14
To minimize the purple impact, I added a blue sash.
Untitled-15
And, of course, a sweater.  I am still kind of shocked by how difficult it was to find sweaters this time of year.
Untitled-20
The sweater was embroidered with two of these...
Untitled-7
I covered them up with two of these felt appliques with button centers...
Untitled-11

And for those of you who are wondering what Levi (the ring bearer) will be wearing...
Untitled-23

And, yes, he will be wearing pants with this...blue slacks to be exact.  I know something a little nicer would have matched the flower girls a tad better, but getting him into something nicer would have sent my head spinning...not to mention his.

So, three munchkins in the wedding party should equal to totally upstaging me.  I can't wait!

10 comments:

  1. Hi there, I stumbled on your blog a few days ago. We have a few things in common. :)

    My H and I got married by ourselves in Kona three years ago. It was a very simple wedding and I don't regret it in the least. We hosted a reception several months later, we did all of the cooking ourselves, but other than that kept things as simple as possible.


    The simplicity of it all allowed us to relax and have a good time. You mentioned that everything has been "simple" for you and I want to say hooray! My advice for anyone getting married is to keep things simple (there's that word again!) and you'll look back on beautiful memories rather than stressed out moments like so many do.

    Love the outfits BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dresses are adorable. You are so clever sewing the appliques on the sweater. So glad for you that things are going so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I love the kids' clothes. You done good, mama. I somehow lost control of my flower girl's dress. Suddenly, a friend of my stepmother was making it and there it was, done deal. It was nice but not what I would have picked. I hope your invitations fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! You are brave to pick white! I would just start with brown and look for other stain-colored options. :-) But, my life is one big stain. I saw lots of sweaters at Burlington Coat Factory the other day. I bet they probably have a website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness! Things have been hotting up while I've been off summer holidaying - this is all getting VERY exciting! (though I notice Levi is still sleeping soundly)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most dresses do come sleeveless it is annoying but sweaters are fun to add.

    Great picks! The kids are going to look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it's all a wedding flurry at your place!
    Everything is looking wonderful and you are doing a beautiful job at customizing your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you did a great job making the outfits complement each other! I always have a hard time finding dresses with sleeves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just talking about blood work makes me want o pass out.
    I love what you did with the blue sash and the flower appliques how crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you are going to have such cute kiddos!!! I can't wait to see pictures!!

    And I love the felt applique on that sweater - great thinking!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!