Sunday, January 3, 2010

So, You Wanna Know The Details?

For those inquiring minds who have been patiently waiting to find out all the details on how Stephan and I met.  Well, here it is.  Sorry for having left y'all hanging there.


My apologies for reusing this pic.  We still don't have any others.  Crazy I know!

It turns out that Stephan lived just down the road from me for 2 years before we met.  Our families knew each other.  His aunt, cousin, and grandmother are all members of my church.  His uncle used to cut our hay.  We even have friends in common.  We live in one very tiny town.  Despite all of this we had never met...until one fateful day. 
On that day, some friends invited my whole family over for a dinner party.  It was going to interfere a little with Levi's bedtime, so I almost stayed home.  I think it was my sister who convinced me to go and reminded me that we could just leave if Levi was unhappy.  So, off we went. 
Levi spent most of the party playing with my mom and our friends' children.  I spent the first part of the evening avoiding eye contact with Stephan who was definitely trying to make eye contact.  He was persistent though, and eventually struck up a conversation with me.  We chatted the rest of the evening. (Before you start thinking he's after married women.  I quit wearing a wedding ring shortly after Levi was born.  The poor guy didn't have a clue.)
Since I was in the midst of a divorce, I certainly wasn't looking for anyone.  As we were talking, I kept thinking that I should tell this guy that I'm not available, but how does one squeeze that into small talk with a stranger?  I had never been in this situation.  It was quite a relief when the party broke up, and we went our separate ways without him asking for my number. 
But, the next day, I got a Facebook friend request.  About a nanosecond later, Stephan messaged me asking for a date.  I sent him a message back, explaining the situation, and thought that would put the quietus on it.  I honestly didn't even expect a response, but Stephan sent one anyway.  It was really sweet.  He said that he was sorry to hear about what I was going through, and he'd like to be friends with me if that was okay.  So, friends we became. 
We pretty much had the strangest courtship ever...it was spent nearly entirely with my parents and on the phone.  Stephan started coming over to visit once a week.  Soon he started visiting every chance he got.  And, oh, my, the phone calls!  I'm pretty sure we deserve some kind of record for the number of hours spent on the phone.   But, for us, that turned out to be wonderful.  We didn't really have normal dating concerns, so we were able to develop a solid friendship.  However, it didn't take us too terribly long to figure out that this was definitely destined to be something beyond friendship.  Stephan was more than willing to wait for me however long it took which pretty much melted me into a big ole' puddle.  By the time I was divorced we knew that we wanted to get married.  Heck, Stephan had already bought a house with that in mind...sneaky little me got to pick it out too.  ;)
So, here we are...gettin' hitched, remodeling a house, and starting a brand new adventure together.  It all just makes me go "Sigh."...in a very, very good way.

So, now it's your turn.  I'd like to know how you met your significant other.  Seriously...do tell!  If you post your story on your blog let me know and I'll link to you here. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh my....I'm just busting with happiness for you! That's a sweet fellow you have there and a whole new beginning unfolding just as it should be. What a love story! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met my husband on the very first day of college, but when I really noticed him was at a pool party where, I kid you not, he pulled a small child out of the deep end who jumped off the diving board and couldn't swim. I was so stunned, and he was very calm about the whole thing. I couldn't take my eyes off him from that moment on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story and an awesome guy! Congrats to you both :)

    I was living in England when I met my husband on Sept 11, 2001. Had it not been for the catastrophic events of that day it's quite likely we never would have met.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet. I might just have ago at writting my own one, if I can remember when it was we did meet, If I do I'll link back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet story! You look so happy together. Hubby and I met in college. He had noticed me on the campus shuttle and then saw that I got off at the same stop as him. Turns out we were going to the same class (History of Jazz music). The next time we were on the shuttle together he struck up a conversation. We were "friends" for a year before we started dating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww sounds destined to be! What a sweet fella!

    I met my guy in university, he wasn't looking for a girlfriend but I couldn't stop thinking about him. Eventually he caved and we dated then moved in together then married after we graduated ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story! I'm so happy for you.

    I met my husband several times over the years but never really talked to him much until we were in some mutual friends' wedding together. We've been together since!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! Congratulations! (Gee, I miss a month of Internet and you get yourself engaged). Did I mention congratulations? :) So happy for the three of you.

    My hubby and I met during our freshman year in college. My friend and his roommate had met at a football game and we went to a party that his "fraternity" was giving. Ha ha ha - definitely not what I was expecting. After we were together for a month or two, he dropped out (of the fraternity, not college) - and we've been together ever since. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't blogging back when you wrote this, but I just read this...it is about the most romantic story ever!!

    How awesome that he didn't mind that you were going through a divorce and had a baby? How awesome that you got to be friends first?? Love it.

    I met Jason through a mutual friend. Actually, she had gone to her junior prom with him and had a photo from the prom on her fireplace. The first tme I went to her house, I commented on how cute he was. Two years later, I met him. But we were both dating other people. A year later we met again and we were not dating other people and within a few months we "knew"....

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!