Saturday, May 2, 2009

More Garden Meandering

Here's a partial shot of the garden. The oregano in the right corner is destined to be moved. Some of it has already made its way into pots. The rest will eventually find its way elsewhere, possibly into friends yards. It has quite a bossy nature and likes to take over the place. The pot on the left is waiting for the dill to pop up. You can make out the little tomato plants and the bell peppers in the raised bed. The rest of the bed is planted with seeds and seedlings that aren't visible just yet. The row of shrubbery includes muscadine vines to the right, blueberries in the middle, and plum trees to the left.
There's another horseshoe shaped raised bed next to this one, but we still haven't reclaimed it from the weeds. We'll get there slowly but surely. My mom and I work on it in our spare time, with Levi's help, of course.
I could live off of fresh picked fruit, so summer feels a little like heaven when the fruit starts to ripen. Right now, it's just nice to watch the flowers bloom and the fruit begin to take shape. The one thing that we have trouble with in this garden is the muscadine vine. You would think since muscadines are native to this area we'd have a successful harvest, but, no, we almost never get a thing off of this vine. Unless you count looks!
The plum trees are full of little green plums. These plums won't get too much bigger. They are petite little things, but, oh, so yum.
The blueberry bushes look like they might fall over from the weight of the berries. I'm so excited about these. They are my favorites. If blueberry bushes gave fruit all year, I'd probably turn blue from eating them.
And, the blackberries!!! I can't wait. On my list of favorites, blackberries come next to blueberries. With all their thorns, they are a pain in the rear to pick, but they are certainly worth every scratch. And, aren't their flowers just lovely?
Have y'all planted a garden this year? I'd love to know what's in yours.

9 comments:

  1. We are starting our first garden! Thanks for sharing about your's! We are in a different climate, but I hope to plant almost all of the same things as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is gorgeous!!!

    We are going to plant tomatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely inspiring! How did you "learn" to garden? You appear to have quite the green thumb.

    My, how I would love to taste those fresh plums and blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks great! I can't wait to see pics of all of the yummy stuff coming out of it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the green! We're just starting to get our share here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yummy. I think you are quite ahead of us in NY as far as the growing season. Our plum tree just started blooming. I will be posting on our gardens soon. I meant to do it friday but the weekend has been crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your garden, we have a huge- and i mean a two story tall- mulberry tree by our house thatis over flowing with green berries waiting to ripen, they are so good when they are ripe. - though they stain everything purple:-)-. I love fresh blueberries too a friend of mine used to have a huge bush on his property and we used to go pick them- you had to beat the birds-,

    fresh fruit is the best. And yes the oregano is very bossy we have it all over our back yard, many herbs tend to be bossy, my mint has taken over a par to the yard too and when I htin it out it fills in very quick, at least it smells really good.Oh well at least they smell good:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow wow wow! So much to grow at your place...it's looking so good. I have to ask though...what exactly are muscadine's?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so many fun things growing! We just planted some blueberry bushes for the first time, but didn't test the soil first, so I'm not sure how they'll do. We also have some "bossy" oregano coming up from last year. Just finished getting all my other seedlings planted and also direct seeding some things. Now I'm ready for some rain and to start watching things take off!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!