Monday, May 18, 2009

Lunch!

A few odds and ends have been harvested over the past month...oregano, asparagus, mint, and some wild greenbriar but nothing worth writing home about. But, today there was actually a meal in the garden. Okay, so this harvest isn't all that spectacular, but it's still pretty exciting to eat out of your own yard. You'd think I'd never done that before, but it seriously never looses its appeal.
Lettuce, oregano, mint, one lone asparagus, and a tiny red dot of a wild strawberry that happened to be on my path. I was hoping for more of the wild strawberries, but with Levi in tow, I didn't really have the time or energy to wander around looking for them. They do make excellent additions to salads. Don't expect to bite into anything juicy or sweet, though. Wild strawberries are actually very plain. I mixed in a chopped apple, a little bit of broccoli and carrot, some locally grown pecans, and a homemade honey dijon vinaigrette....yum!

Thanks to a few free lettuce plants, I'm having my first adventure in lettuce gardening. I'm totally hooked. Homegrown lettuce is about a kabillion times better than the grocery store varieties. It actually has real live flavor...surprise!
And, yes, that is a pinwheel you see behind the lettuce. A friend told me that pinwheels freak the deer out, and you might remember me mentioning that the deer annihilated last years garden. There are now pinwheels surrounding every plant that the deer might possibly find tasty. Levi thinks I put them there for him though, so don't tell!

11 comments:

  1. that's the most wonderful thing i've read all day! congrats! and i am soooo jealous that you have asparagus. i'm very intimidated by the thought of growing it. or maybe i'm just too impatient to wait three years for it. it's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I LOVE homegrown lettuce too and always plant WAY too much of it! Just more to share though I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks super delicious and I am jealous. Our garden is a big old flop. It got mowed over, among other things-- HA. We have wild strawberries everywhere, however, and althought I know you CAN eat them I never thought to put them in salad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds yummy I love those first taste from the garden. oh and fresh aparagus yum, so good, way better then any can could ever be.

    I love mint it makes a super tea, and is so good for an upset tummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how exciting. We want to put in asparagus bed. I seriously can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm may have to put lettuce on my want to garden list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pinwheel idea! We hope to get the vegetables planted this week. There was a frost last week and then 90 degrees here yesterday. Weather can't make up its mind up here! Love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh there is nothing more satisfying than eating from the garden...it's looking good too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you're already harvesting stuff. Homegrown lettuce is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! Homegrown lettuce is soooo good...but it kind of ruins salads for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so keen to grow my own lettuce. Unfortunately I am not much of a gardener, but that could change, right?

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!