Friday, May 8, 2009

Miss Me?

Sunday morning I woke up to a tornado going overhead. After a few scary moments, it was over. We briefly surveyed the houses, shed, and barn. Other than a near miss on my parents house (a fallen tree was touching their bedroom window) things looked alright from a glance. Sunday was a VERY busy day, so we didn't get to check the whole property. Off we went to church, a fundraiser, and the church's evening children's program. It wasn't until later on Monday that we discovered the true extent of the damage. There are nearly 10 trees down, and another 10 that will have to come down because they are too damaged to be safe.
Although the tornado never touched ground, it did loads of damage. The pictures don't do it justice. There is debris everywhere. That little tiny freak weather event did more damage to us than Katrina did. And, Katrina did quite a bit. Thankfully my garden was unscathed...I know. I'm selfish, but that was the second thing I checked (the first being family). I was terrified that I would find all my plants uprooted or a tree on them, but it only knocked a few unripe plums off the trees.
We are very blessed though. Some friends are coming over Saturday to help clean up, and others have offered to come by next week to lend a hand. There is certainly a lot to be thankful for.
Don't go thinking a little, tiny tornado would keep me away from here. There's still more to the story. The Wednesday before the storm, Levi came down with what I thought was just seasonal allergy crud. Then late Monday night, he woke up screaming and burning up. I gave him some Tylenol, and the fever went down. He had a mild fever the next day, but I figured the worst was over. One of these days I will learn not to think that. Midday, his fever began to flirt with 104 and he became listless. This was after a dose of Tylenol had already been administered. We took him to the doctor. When his fever still wasn't going down we gave him more Tylenol, and the nurse brought some cool, wet rags for him. It took some time, but the fever finally went to the 102 range. After running a strep test that came up negative, the doc diagnosed him with Hand, Hoof, and Mouth disease (a.k.a. Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease). It's apparently really freakin' painful, and just has to be lived through. So, we've been living through it. His fever has finally gone down, seemingly for good. Although, I should probably know better than to say that out loud. I'm praying that he really is on the mend.
Hopefully, I'll be back with more regularity soon. How have y'all been?

16 comments:

  1. True story-- I thought in my head, "I miss Madeline, I wonder what she's up to?" and then clicked on your blog and your title said, "miss me?" -- so the answer is yes, yes I did!

    I am sorry about the tornado and your sweet sweet sick baby boy.

    My husband and his parents are actually in the tree industry (this is what they call it, seriously) so I know how expensive and scary trees can be. I am so glad your family (and garden!) are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor little guy :(
    He is adorable though! I had a friend whose daughter had that and she was up all night for 3-4 nights screaming and crying because of the pain, but she quickly recovered. It'll be better soon!

    Glad you were all okay regarding the tornado. Geez that must have been scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. egads what a week you have had!!! I am glad everyone is safe and the garden is ok.

    Hope your little guy is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madeline, What a week! Poor Levi. And poor Momma. That is awful. My Lily got that when she was a baby. It was a scary experience. I will be praying for you and Levi. Praying he gets better and that you get the rest you need. I am so glad you are all ok, and there wasn't much damage to your garden. Sorry about the chicken coop and the lost trees though, glad you have such good friends to come and help you with the mess.
    Blessings
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes- I have missed you! I was happy to see your post but so sad to hear how rough/scary things have been!

    I said a little prayer for you guys :) Hope little Levi has a speedy recovery- and that you can get some well deserved rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness! i had that when I was around 10 but i've never heard of anyone else having it. so sad =( hope he gets to feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, that's a lot to deal with. Glad that the tornado didn't hurt anyone, but it is bad about the trees and chicken yard though. Poor little Levi, I hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adam had the same thing when he was 7 months old same thing very high fever and it just woukd not go away we ended up in the emergency room in the middle of the night , I remeber them using a very tiny needle to get blood and doing a cathiter to get a urine sample, and talking about it maybe being menangitis and doing spinal taps. It was scary, but thankfully it was not , and he is a very outgoing active funny four year old today.

    Take it easy momma sounds like a rough week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh honey! :( I am sending big hugs your way.. what a week you have both had. I pray healing and restoration over you all.. so relieved you are okay. Hope sweet little Levi gets feeling better soon. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes! I'm glad you are all safe...and I really hope Levi gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh - poor Levi! And poor you too, of course... Hopefully he's feeling better soon. And glad you all survived the tornado. Wishing you all the best in the cleanup...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eek! a tornado and a sick child? I'm glad to hear he is doing better - hopefully, you can catch up on some rest too this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! And oh no again! I didn't hear about the tornado, and I'm sorry about your trees and fence, but I'm glad you are all OK.

    Levi is just too cute to be so sick. :) I hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a week! I hope that all is mended soon- especially little Levi! I just hate it when the kids are sick. Especially when they are so little and can't tell you how they feel. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my what a lot of happenings here...unlike your poor little guy here you have been lucky that yourself and your house remained unscathed by that tornado....how frightening! I hope your sweet one recovers quickly and you all get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Madeline, you are such a good mommy! Your love for your boy totally shines through in your posts. I hope he gets well really soon...and I hope you get some much-needed rest.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!