Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Walk Through The Garden

Our garden is finally beginning to look like a little more than just dirt! After Levi's birth, the garden went sadly neglected for quite some time. It took a good bit of effort just to get it back to the dirt stage, and I'm so happy to see little signs of edible life popping up all over the place. We've rearranged a bit. The asparagus is much happier in it's new location. We moved the compost heap, and put the asparagus where that used to be:
I planted some radish seeds last Friday, and they had already popped their cute butterfly shaped heads through by Monday!
This is really a weed, but it looks rather like a radish seedling. I couldn't resist snapping a pic. I left a couple of them just out of curiosity. We'll see what they turn into:
Oregano makes me happy...the smell is heavenly. We have loads more herbs in the garden, but no pictures of them...yet:
Our first teeny, tiny tomato popping out with a couple of lovely little tomato flowers:
Our lone bell pepper plant:
He will soon have a couple of cabbage neighbors as well as a few nearby onions, carrots, and beans. What's popping up around you...in your yard or garden?

11 comments:

  1. Oh how exciting. I hear ya on the neglected garden when you have an infant. Now that the girls are getting a little older, I actually have a garden worth posting about :) Great veggies and herbs. It is so satifiying growing your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted some tomatoes for the first time. I hope they survive my meager gardening skills

    ReplyDelete
  3. our garden went negelcted after the first baby too. Heck you have a lot to do at that tiem and honeslty lack of sleep kept me in a blur for about a year:-)

    I love little radish seeds, they pop so fast and you get fast results.

    rightnow I have some mustard seeds , lavender, rosemary, and mint started in the kitchen window. waiting to be moved soon.

    I love a fresh ripe tomatoe right out of the garden still warm yum you can not get that in a store thats for sure. Your oregano looks good we have some of that too, it is all over- I also have peppermint that has taken over half of my yard, but it smells good so thats okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my look at your crop! we haven't even started planting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so much fun!!! I can smell the herbs and fresh air from here... nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! I've long neglected my little plants... they are so sad and scraggly now! The ones that are left anyway :(

    But the pictures of your little garden made me so happy :) Yay for you! And yay for that asparagus- grilled with a little olive oil and garlic salt is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting...it's all looking just great....so good for you to be back out there...and with your little helper. Can't wait to see how it all progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your plants are doing so well! The South is much kinder than my Indiana zone (I think 5? Does not knowing make me a bad gardener?) -- I have sprouts but no fruit at all. I think I should have planted radish, if only for that cute little butterfly shaped plant that pops up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh your herbs and veg are looking great...so rewarding to grow your own isn't it?
    I have only just started to get back into it. We have lettuce, onions, cabbage, broccoli, cauli, peas. I'm loving watching the progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the garden pictures! I'm interested in that radish looking weed too. This morning I saw one of my tiny celery seeds sprouting, very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing your garden pics. I really need to get some pictures taken of mine as well. Don't you love how quickly radishes pop up...practically instant gratification in the world of gardening!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!