Tuesday, April 7, 2009

All Tied Up: A Little Munchkin Tie Tutorial

Easter has snuck up on me. It generally does. I always manage to think I have a week or two extra, and then, oops, it's THIS weekend. The big question of course is what to wear...not so much for me as for the little fella'. I checked out the consignment store racks only to be left thinking, "The 'nice' clothes are still too expensive second hand, and he's so going to outgrow this stuff in like a week." So, I pulled out the old thinking cap, and decided on making a tie. It seemed fairly simple and like a nice wardrobe update that might actually last a little while.
Please excuse the over sized model:
Two tries later, and I finally have something that I'm quite pleased with. Being my slightly crazy self, I opted out of using a pattern because a) I didn't have one and b) I almost never use them anyway, so why start now? Here's an attempt at a tutorial describing how I went about this little adventure in tie-land.
First, I decided to take a cue from Bek and put some elastic at the neck. Because of this, I drew the pattern in two pieces. It's pretty simple you just tape a row of paper together, fold it in half, and draw half a tie shape, then cut. My dimensions were: Piece 1 (the actual tie looking one) 25" long, 1 3/8" wide at the narrowest point, 4" at the widest. You want to begin a fairly sharp taper at the point at which you anticipate placing the knot. In my case that was about 9" from the bottom point. Piece 2 (the short, skinny one) 15 1/2" by 1 3/8"
Pick out your main fabric as well as a liner fabric (I lined mine with a piece of an old white bed sheet). Cut your fabric. You'll need one of each shape from the main and liner fabrics. Pin pieces right sides together. Sew reinforcing your corners and leaving a space for turning. I only used about an 1/8" seam to avoid excessive trimming. Trim where necessary. Turn. Iron from the top side, so you can make sure it looks good. Neatly tuck and iron the space left from turning. Top stitching will take care of closing it. Now, top stitch both of your pieces. Cut a length of elastic. Mine was about 4 inches. Sew your elastic to the appropriate ends of your tie pieces. You now have a tie. I tied a half Windsor knot: tutorial here. Come Sunday, I can slip it over Levi's head and call it an Easter outfit.
Hope y'all are having a happy (or should I say "hoppy") week!!

17 comments:

  1. I LOOOVE it! Love love love it. What a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet looking tie perfect for a young boy on Easter, and it is his own unigue designer look too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MADELINE THE TIE IS WANDERFULL AND VERY CUTE FOR A BOY ON EASTER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! That is the cutest! I made a tie once from a pattern as sort of a joke gift for my husband. It didn't come out nearly as good as yours. I love the fabric too. You might consider submitting this to Threadbanger.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job. I bet he looks adorable wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been DYING to make some ties for Tate, but never knew how to get started (I'm pretty much a 'show me how to do it, and I might understand!" type of seamstress! ;) ). So thanks for that awesome explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY, VERY cute. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOooo cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good! Levi will look very smart indeed. You are very clever to make up your own pattern! I don't have a clue when it comes to that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are just too creative! I love that fabric. He is going to be such a handsome young chap in his new tie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute, and festive! I always use my floor to take pictures too- funny!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my ecostore giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very cool - and very smart and frugal of you! (I love when those two ideas come together so nicely). Thanks for the great instructions...I look forward to trying this for my little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super creative! I wish I had a little boy to put one on. Oh, and I am totally that person that even thinks second-hand stores can be too expensive too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that is awsome, i love this. You clever thing...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, that is the most adorable tie I have ever seen. I don't have any little boys to make ties for. Maybe my hubby will wear one to work If I make one.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!