Friday, July 25, 2008

Play Dough

I just finished up my last preschool day camp for the summer. Now I get a much need break before I start teaching art lessons in the fall. This camp was a little different from most. The kids were super young--as in only a couple of them were able to draw their shapes. That makes things a little challenging especially since that also means it takes a little more to keep their attention. Normally on the last day we turn all their art from the week into a book, but by yesterday these kids had already gone through so much paper that if we kept going on the paper route their books were going to be taller than me. So, change of plans, we made books yesterday, and today we made play dough. I don't know why I haven't thought to do this before. They have so much fun with it. Of course, I mixed it up, but they thought it was fabulous to watch. Then I doled a piece out to each kid, squirted some food coloring in, and they mushed and squished until it was all one color. Then play time. When we were finished I just packed it up in little baggies for them, and they got to take it home. I adapted the play dough recipe from a couple of recipes. So, in case anyone wants to try this it home, here it is:
6 cups flour (plus some for dusting)
2/3 cup salt
4 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1 cup water
food coloring
Mix oil into dry ingredients. Slowly add the water, stirring with a spoon (or in my case a ruler). Knead to desired consistency. If it's too moist dust with flour and continue to knead. If it's too dry add a little water. Divide into 6 even clumps. Add desired amounts of food coloring, and squish and squeeze until it's all blended. Depending on the child an adult might need to help with this step, but most of the kids were perfectly content to do it themselves and watch the color slowly spread through.

1 comment:

  1. That was a great idea. I used to get out the play dough on rainy days at school when the kids couldn't go out for recess. They always loved it and it made not being able to go out a little easier for them to take. The hard part was getting them to stop playing :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!