Monday, July 14, 2008

On A Quest

I've recently been searching for really good children's music. My criteria is simple: I have to like it and be able to handle listening to it on repeat. Levi already has preferences, and wants to do and listen to certain things over and over and over. For instance, on our way to Georgia, he was happy as long as we were ALL singing along to Elizabeth Mitchell's rendition of "Peace Like a River". And yes we ALL sang it over and over the whole way there and back. It sounded far better than crying.
Some of my favorites:
Elizabeth Mitchell's You Are My Little Bird
Elizabeth Mitchell's You Are My Sunshine
Genius + Love Jazz & Swing for Kids (by the cover I thought this would be cheesy, but once I listened to it I was hooked)
The newest addition to my list of favorites is Julia Norton's Lullaby Island. I love, love, love it. In fact I just listened to it while Levi was napping. Is that strange to want to listen to your child's cd's? It's just so beautiful. Julia has such an enchanting and haunting voice. It just makes me want to curl up and be rocked to sleep. In fact I might hit play again and see about taking a nap myself.
Please let me know what your favorites are. I'd love to grow my collection of parent friendly children's music.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Madeline, I found your blog while browsing Blogger profiles for people in Mississippi. I've read a few posts and will be back to read some more :-) You seem like a really cool chick. I had to comment because I wanted to let you know about this CD. http://davidlamotte.com/stuff/bathtub.html
    You can listen to some of the songs here: http://cdbaby.com/cd/lamotte
    This guy is seriously awesome, I love, love, love his music. I have this CD of children's songs and I don't even have kids yet! My nephews and niece loved it when they were younger, they always wanted to listen to "the monkey song." Good luck on your quest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some fun kids' music on the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I don't mean it is necessarily "for kids" but fun for the whole family to listen to...

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check out that kids music!! I like finding GOOD quality kids music. :) One of our favorites is called "Name Your Tune"...they have a website - if you google Name your Tune you'll probably find it - anyways, they make a CD with your childs name in the songs, and it's actually pretty good! :) Not too annoying or anything! haha. We also like a Fisher Price one called "Dance, Baby Dance" There's no words, just music...it's lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!