Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Good Book and a Hot Cup of Tea...

... are my two weaknesses. Most recently I've finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a beautifully written book detailing a year in the food life of Kingsolver and her family. It will make you rethink your eating habits--even if you already consider yourself to be a fairly conscientious eater. Her descriptions of food and gardening will make your mouth water and your hands feel the need to dig into dirt--even if you're not typically the dirt digging type. I must admit I'm terribly jealous of her heirloom tomatoes. The deer ate our not so heirloom but still homegrown tomato plants--I'm still stinging from that one. However, we have some very kind church friends who are passing some of their tomato abundance along to us. I LOVE homegrown tomatoes. Any others aren't worth the energy required to bite into them.
Another good book I recently read is The Unschooling Unmanual. Whether you homeschool, unschool, are considering it, or are just curious, it's a good read. It's a compilation of short but passionately well written essays on how children were created to learn.
So, now I've picked up The Kite Runner. I figured I needed to throw a novel into the summer mix. Plus it was on the buy one get one half off table where I also found Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. So far it's keeping my interest. We'll see. Let me know what your summer-or for that matter fall, winter, and spring--reading recommendations are. I always enjoy finding out what other people are reading.
Oh, and lets not forget the tea. I'm always up for a good cup of Earl Grey, but there's a lady at a not-as-local-as-I-wish-it-was farmers market who makes a fabulous blend of lavender chamomile herbal tea. So what I drink depends on how caffeinated I wish to be.

3 comments:

  1. Madeline, I am so glad you made this post. I had not heard of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle before and it sounds like something I would love to read. I clicked the link, and clicked some more links from there, and wound up finding out that there is a farmer's market that just got started in my area and a farm that sells local produce! I wish I were able to grow a garden, but living in an apartment, it's not possible. I tried some container gardening once and it didn't work (not enough sunlight I think). Reading about your love of homegrown tomatoes reminded me of a song my mom-in-law sent me the other day. Give it a listen, it's pretty cute.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nitgmAInI18

    The Unschooling Unmanual sounds pretty good as well. Some people see me as a hypocrite because I have been a teacher (taking a break for many reasons) but want to homeschool my own children (when I have them). I speak from experience when I say that public education in America is not what it should be.

    Sorry this comment was so long, I was just so excited by the post. I knew you were a cool chick when I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to check out that book called "The Unschooling Unmanual!" I'm thinking of homeschooling, so I want to do some more reading/research on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm crazy for Earl Grey. I have been looking for a decaf Earl Grey but haven't found one lately.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!