Friday, March 13, 2009

It's Raining, It's Pouring, The Old Man Is...

Well, okay, so there's not an old man snoring, but you get the picture. It's gone from beautiful spring weather to cold, dreary, and very wet. There's no hope of sunshine for days. Levi is so not going to understand. Every morning he pokes me in the eyeballs then hugs me (I suppose so I won't be mad about the eyeball poking). Then he begins pointing to his shoes. If I don't pass the shoes to him, he climbs out of bed to get them for himself. Then he does his little "uh-uh" routine while pointing from the shoes to his feet and looking expectantly at me. I oblige, and put the shoes on his little toes. He promptly heads for the door--sometimes he gets sidetracked on the way, but eventually he gets to the door. And, he knocks on it like someone on the other side is going to let him out. All of this before I've had the chance to change his diaper, shower, or make breakfast. I gently explain the to do list which he doesn't get, but generally a cracker or muffin convinces him to sit in his highchair and gaze longingly out the window. After the to do list is done (sometimes before) we head outside. If I'd let him he'd live out there. The next few days are going to be rough. I don't even have a real plan. What do you do with a 16 month old little munchkin who refuses to be cooped up???
Have I mentioned, I don't venture out into the rain for more than just a walk to the car or next door? That's really a whole other blog post, but suffice it to say that I have previously gotten first hand science lessons about lightening. I didn't get struck, but it was a close call. I have no desire to press my luck further. That being said, we won't be taking walks in the rain. I might give in and go out on the screen porch for a little while, but that's as adventurous as I get.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I know how you feel.. such a tease! I can't wait until Spring comes back and decides to stay a bit longer. That's so cute though how he brings you his shoes first thing in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is the same way-- he LOVES the outdoors. When he was Levi's age he would bring me my keys every morning when he first woke up. :) This temperature shift has been so unfair! I'm interested in hearing your lightening story... sorry you had such a close call.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great he loves going outside! Except, of course, it's not great when the weather is crummy. And how funny he pokes you in the eyes. What a way to wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great he loves to be outside. It finally warmed up to above freezing here and I feel like I've won the lottery and moved to Hawaii. It was THAT cold earlier in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Levi sounds so adorable. My Eden does the same thing, she is 19months, not much older than your little man. She grabs her shoes and her coat and drops them @ my feet and points to the door saying. "mama mama - Shoes Coat Side" for Hurry up ma, and get me dressed so I can play outside. I love this age. I love it all, but there little voices when they first start talking, oh just precious. Hope the weather perks up for you. We just got snow today. Bleck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about local museums. play zones, play groups at churches with gyms?!?!

    Rainy weather is tough, normally I would say get an umbrella but I totally understand the fear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...poor Levi! Hopefully you can think of some different things to keep him busy inside. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!