Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fruit Strips 101

At Target, and probably many other places, they sell these super yummy all natural fruit strips. I love them! Problem number one: I eat them in mass quantities. Problem number two: they are expensive and Target is quite a ways away from my abode.
Problem solved: I found out how to make them. Yay! The best part...it's crazy easy.
Ingredients:
about a pound or so of apples and pears
1/4 cup of sugar (This really depends on how sweet your fruit is. You can put less.)
1/2 a lemon

Peel and chop apples and pears. You'll want about 5 or 6 cups of chopped fruit. (This is not an exact science, so don't worry that much about measuring.) Put fruit in blender, squeeze in the lemon juice, and add sugar. Blend. Basically you're making apple/pear sauce. Spread sauce onto 2 Silpat baking mats (silicone backing mats) on baking pans. If you don't have silicone mats you can use a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap. I'm just mildly creeped out by baking on plastic wrap, so I use Silpat mats. The sauce should be in a thin but not completely see through, even layer. Turn oven to lowest warm setting. Place baking pans in oven for about 4 or 5 hours. I turn the oven off at this point, and let the strips dry out the rest of the way. I usually just leave mine overnight.
When they are dry: If you baked them on plastic wrap, cut into strips and roll. If you baked them on a silicone mat, transfer to plastic wrap, cut into strips and roll. When cutting into strips, leave some of the plastic wrap hanging off of one end and use it to hold the strips in place once rolled.
Voila! You have your own yummy fruit strips.
I'm pretty sure this would work with store bought applesauce. Let me know if you try it that way.
And, of course, we can't leave out Mommy's little helper. He's really taken a liking to "cooking".

10 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! Great in the fall when there are apples a plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have some of those apricot fruit strips from Target in my pantry right now! And they ARE delicious! I could eat a whole box sooner than you could say lickety split! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, we've just recently discovered those at Target! And yes, they are expensive, so they are a rare special treat in our house. I love the idea of making your own though and it sounds fairly simple. :) Do you think I could substitute agave nectar in place of sugar, or would that mess up the consistency?

    Thanks for the yummy idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I love those things from Target AND I have a silpat mat. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Marce makes these, they are delish! I have never made them myself though. Now I'm hungry for one. Thanks for the recipe! Love the picture of your little helper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, this looks pretty good. I don't have any silicone mats, but maybe could I could use wax/parchment paper?

    Or, maybe, I could spend that extra money from NOT buying the fruit snacks at Target and just get some silicone mats...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!

    My grandma makes these for us, tons of them. She uses raspberry and strawberry too. VERY good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh yum! and much better homemade I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh, will have to remember this when we are needing an "on the go" snack!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No. Way! Wow. These sound great!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!