Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Best Kind Of Cheap Is Free

I've wanted to spiff up the yard a bit lately, but my yard spiffing up budget is somewhere around nil. The upside to the budget issue is that it forces creative thinking. I'm blessed to live on 40 acres where previous home sites have come and gone. And, previous home sites mean previous yards and gardens which equal plants--plants that have survived with zero care for quite a number of years. Those are my kind of plants! I like low maintenance.
Yesterday, I found myself with a few spare hours, so I dug. And, I dug, and I dug some more! I dug up enough Daffodils, Naked Ladies, and Snowbells to fill up 3 flower beds. I also snagged some Liriope which makes great borders. Here is most of what I dug up:
Sorry, no after pics. Transplanting does cause a bit of a shock to the plants, so they aren't at their most photogenic right now. Though they are taking it better than expected.
My future plans include going after the Nandina that currently resides in the woods. It will make a pretty little hedge to the side of my house. Eventually I'll have to break down and buy some day lilies for summer blooms. I also have some Iris bulbs waiting to be planted. Overall, it's not a bad start.
Here are a few of the last of the Daffodil blooms for the season with an Iris tossed into the bottom pic.:
Hope y'all are having a fantastic weekend!

11 comments:

  1. That was a wonderful idea! And I love that last picture. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome...I'm all about getting things for free too...and would totally spend a day diggin plants instead of a day buying plants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO AWESOME! i'm very jealous, and very impressed. please post pictures once they've adjusted to their new beds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that!>!> I want to de-wild-ize our yard in the coming years, it has been neglected!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI: Come over to my page to check out the free diaper I am giving away.

    Love... Hot Belly Mama

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about digging up some plants just the other day. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you!! So great to get your hands in the earth and get things growing.....can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thinking on your part! I LOVE the daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No wonder all you Southerners are in such a good mood. You have flowers. Actual blooming life! I feel cheered just looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really is a great idea. and I really do like daffodils. they are just such a happy flower

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!