Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pretty and Yummy...Now That Can't Be Beat

The daylilies are blooming. Around here, daylilies are in nearly every yard. They are as common as cats, but I love them just the same. Their blossoms are gorgeous, but beyond that, you can eat them. How cool is that?! They're actually really good. You can throw them in salads or decorate a dessert with them. I've only tried the flowers, but I've heard that the entire plant, including the rhizome, is edible. Any daylily eaters out there?I should Google daylily recipes. Hmmm....

9 comments:

  1. really? I don't think we even have that type of flower out here...but I'd love to taste one sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE daylilies. Though not sure if I'd love to eat them!

    But we always had lots of daylilies where I grew up, and I think they are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have lots of those here had no idea you could eat them, love the photo of the feet at the end of your blog very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madeline you crack me up. You are SO into growing your own food. Which is of course amazing and inspiring, I just never thought of Daylily recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of them but they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea you could eat the, though I have seen them decorate cakes. Are they sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have several daylillies in one of my gardens. They won't bloom until July though. And I had no idea you could eat them! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Never thought to try. Yours is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!