Saturday, June 27, 2009

Birthday Blues And Totally Unrelated But Adorable Pics

My Birthday is coming up very soon. Generally, I don't get too terribly excited about my birthdays, but I was starting to get excited about this one. It was scheduled to rain...FINALLY! But, I just checked the forecast and, oh, the disappointment of it all. There's a big ole' stinkin' sunshine plopped right on my birthday. The nerve of that darn sun! Rain isn't in the forecast now until two whole days after my birthday. I've already lost three cucumber plants, and my beans are at this weird standstill...sort of frozen in time. If it's even possible to be frozen in 100 degree weather. They won't get past 2 or 3 inches. It's almost eerie. I'm also blaming the lack of rain for all of my tomatoes and blueberries still being green. Green, sort of like Levi's shirt. Of course, I just had to throw in two totally unrelated pictures. Because he's just so darn adorable. And, speaking of green tomatoes. I've found new and fabulous uses for them because we seriously have enough to feed an army. Fried green tomatoes are of course super fabulous, but did you know you can grill those babies?! Talk about some yumminess. Now, when I say grill I'm referring to a grill pan...starting a fire is not on my skill list. But, the other day I "grilled" slices of eggplant, green tomato, and onion and then made open faced sandwiches. Mmm...Mmm...Good! And, chopped green tomatoes are incredible when sauteed. So, when life gives you green tomatoes, cook 'em up!

11 comments:

  1. My fingers are half frozen as I type, so birthday sun sounds sort of um, nice...

    Mint juleps, I have spontaneously decided is the key! Very Great Gatsby and decadent sounding, embracing of the heat wave (and a birthday) and no doubt scrummy with grilled green tomatoes(?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I equate mint juleps with the Derby. And you're right. He is darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this made me hungry. I really love tomatoes. And I LOVE your new profile picture! You are both adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! The heat! Maybe a nice cold beer? :) We've given up on our beans and we're throwing in the towel for gardening right now. We'll start again in September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm.. grilled veggies sound so yummy! Love your new profile pic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok really really want some of your sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sincerely hope that rain makes a surprise appearance on your special day ;) Rain makes any day lovely!

    Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorites... yumminess!

    My birthday was a month ago- and with some sweet b-day cash I bought Aiden the very same green shirt that Levi is wearing! Garanimals baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never figured out green tomatoes - but grilled does sound yummy...

    Hope you get your rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can make a salsa with green tomatoes too, thats pretty tasty. Love them fried of course what doesn;t taste better deep fried:-) The eggplant tomato and onion sandwhich souns good.

    Have a ahppy birhtday and hopefully some rainy weather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I have never tried fried green tomatoes! You never know...you may get a birthday surprise with the rain....we can hope can't we!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope it rains for your birthday, Madeline. I really, really do. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!