Thursday, February 26, 2009

P.S.

I failed to mention that despite all the craziness and the rather lengthy separation, Levi and I were blessed to establish a strong breastfeeding relationship. Having since heard disaster stories about breastfeeding after a c-section (especially an emergency c-section), I am truly grateful to be able to say that Levi still breastfeeds to this day. We had a very rocky first 3 months...Okay, so maybe "we" is a bit misleading. Recovering from the c-section and battling 3 months of breast infections didn't bother him one bit. Me? I was on cloud 9 over being a mom, but at the same time I thought the pain would NEVER end. I truly couldn't have gotten through it all without my family. They were so supportive and went above and beyond the call of duty.

7 comments:

  1. It is so awesome to read about the overcoming of obstacles when nursing. It is such an amazing thing to share with your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful. I was not able to overcome the difficulties with my first baby (the emergent c-section) and instead pumped exclusively for 6 months. That was hard too though.

    Thankfully, my other 2 children nursed (and 1 is nursing now) without problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for pushing through all the difficulties and persevering! You are giving Levi such a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a good mom :)
    I read your birth story and I just wanted to say that the main impression it left me with -- more than fury at the hospital and that nurse, more than sadness that you and Levi were treated that way, more than frustration that you didn't have the experience that you wanted to have -- was that you are a very brave and strong woman. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my dear girl- I can't believe what you went through! Argh- makes me so mad at those nurses! Common sense alone would have dictated different actions on their part- let alone the training they have received!!! But as others said- it really shows how strong you are :)

    Though my c-section story is lengthy and was pretty awful, for the most part I was blessed with great nurses and a hospital that encourages bonding and breast-feeding in a big way. I wouldn't have been able to handle it otherwise. So kudos to you Madeline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you for sticking with it in those first three months! I had a bit of a rough start too with my firstborn (sore, cracked, bleeding nipples - ow!), but I'm so glad that I kept with it. It was a beautiful thing to share with my daughter - she nursed until she was almost two.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!