Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Think Someone Hit The Fast Forward Button

And, now I can't find pause. Friday morning we hit the road for an 8 hour turned 12 hour drive. Yeah...12 hours...where did the extra 4 come from???? The joys of driving to Georgia with the little fella' in tow. Actually, he was really sweet--seriously. We finally arrived at our destination Friday evening, and after a quick meal, we hit the sack.Valentine's day was worth the drive though. My great-aunt Othalyne turned the big 90, so we enjoyed a huge family reunion bash in her honor. (She's on the couch to the right). This is a pic of my more immediate family members. There must have been at least 100 people altogether.Aunt Othalyne is one of those ladies who makes EVERYONE feel like they are her favorite person in the world. The best part--it's genuine. She just exudes love and caring. So, driving 12 hours Friday only to turn around and do the same on Sunday was totally worth it. We got the added bonus of catching up with loads of family as well as meeting family who we've never met before...it's a gigantic family.
For the most part my sister had the camera. She always gravitates to the outdoors, so most of the pics are of the kids--who were some of the only people willing to venture out on a chilly gray day.
As you can probably tell, the kids had a blast on the hay bales. By the end of the day a couple of the bales were toppled over and the rest of them were a bit trampled and worse for the wear.
Uncle Larry teaching my little cousin, Miles, to wield a camera:
I just love it when he falls asleep on me. Okay, so by the end of his nap, I couldn't feel my arms or legs, but really it's a nice feeling overall.:
Aunt Othalyne, her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren mostly live on one HUGE piece of land. They've built a pond house for occasions such as this, and it has to be the most kid friendly place around. Hay bales, cows, horses, ponds and creeks, land for miles and miles, and a million lights up all year round:
After that fun-packed day, we turned around the next day and drove 12 more hours home. There really is no place like home. We were just in time too, because the next day Levi came down with a rotten, stinkin' awful stomach bug. I hope he gets better soon, because I am so ready to hit the slow down button. I need a break.

18 comments:

  1. Looks like y'all had a great trip. We used to have big family get-togethers for my Grandma's birthdays and they were so much fun. Those are some great pictures, I especially love the ones of all those kids on the hay bales! I hope Levi feels better soon, and that you'll be able to get your break :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds so sweet! I love big families and wish mine were a tad larger...but 100+? wow!!

    well driving that far for family is worth it. (most of the time. unless you're me and you do that for your first christmas and go visit the in laws and sleep on an airbed. Then maybe, not so worth it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I LOVE those haybale pictures...they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great party and well worth the drive. WOW 90!

    My kids love the hay bales at my parents ranch, BUT I am leery since I saw posters at the ER telling the dangers of playing on hay bales.

    Who would have thought they'd be dangerous enough to make posters!?

    Surprised!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what a trip! Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow what a trip! Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow now that's a busy weekend!! but it looks like a whole bucket of fun!! Great shots...I just adore piccies of sleeping little ones...hope your gorgeous man gets better very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow now that's a busy weekend!! but it looks like a whole bucket of fun!! Great shots...I just adore piccies of sleeping little ones...hope your gorgeous man gets better very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love those huge hay bales (?)! And the big trees. And the old truck. It's great to see your big family too. I'm sure your great aunt appreciated you going such a distance for her big bash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love those huge hay bales (?)! And the big trees. And the old truck. It's great to see your big family too. I'm sure your great aunt appreciated you going such a distance for her big bash.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - looks like fun! You always have such great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - looks like fun! You always have such great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my boys' favorite things to do in the summertime is to play on the hay bales up on the hill behind my dad's house. They could climb and balance on those things forever!

    Looks like you had a fun (and long) trip. Wish I had an enormous family like yours.. everyone seems so happy to be together and the pics are really sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my boys' favorite things to do in the summertime is to play on the hay bales up on the hill behind my dad's house. They could climb and balance on those things forever!

    Looks like you had a fun (and long) trip. Wish I had an enormous family like yours.. everyone seems so happy to be together and the pics are really sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This reminds me so much of the family reunions we used to go to. I miss that.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  16. We did a similar trip this week, but it was only three hours there and three hours back. I thought IT was rough! I had to laugh about the numb extremities. I too have allowed myself to get very uncomfortable just to keep my sleeping baby in my arms a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for visiting my blog! I love the pic of your son past out...so precious!
    Zana

    ReplyDelete
  18. how great to have such a family get together...looks like plenty of fun.
    the lady of honour sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!