Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Here's A Nugget For You

I might have mentioned before that my desk runneth over with scraps of paper containing various and sundry quotes. Well, here's one I ran across recently that really spoke to me:

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."
Joseph Cambell

Admittedly, I am not naturally a life planner. I can plan outings, parties, meals, daily to do's, but life on the big picture scale????...not so good on that front...which, really explains a whole heck of a lot. I tend towards the scattered side of things, and my life in the past has certainly reflected that. However, becoming a mom, helped bring things into focus for me. Planning and building a life that makes some sort of sense has begun to top the charts of the to do list. On occasion I find myself becoming slightly obsessive about it. Lately, my ideas have maybe become a tad rigid, and I've found myself feeling a bit out of sorts and not really "letting go and letting God" as the saying goes. Today, in particular, I was obsessing over some really dumb stuff that in about 5 minutes isn't going to matter anymore and in truth doesn't matter right now. Then this quote popped into view. I feel better already. So, I say, "Yay!" to messy desks that produce nuggets of wisdom at precisely the right time.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that is something I have really been focusing on lately. Great quote, I'm going to write it down. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a good thought to keep in mind! Reminds me of a quote recently that basically said it's in God's mercy that he doesn't let us choose our circumstances. He has something infinitely better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great quote - so true. I can completely relate to what you're talking about. It seems like things never really work out the way I plan anyway, so I guess I should look at that as a hint from God for me to just let things be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea what you're talking about.

    Kidding!

    Having a child sure is a great way to get perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay indeed a beautiful way to be reminded to let go....

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really awesome quote. I could totally relate to your post. I stumbled across your blog, while looking for other homeschool mommies. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true. I think I'll write that quote down right now. Thanks for this post - I needed it.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!