Friday, December 4, 2009

Busy Days And Little Treats

Unfortunately, there's not a "pause" button that gets pressed during Advent.  Life still moves on at an often overwhelming pace, and, well, let's face it, some days are just too darn busy to add another activity to the to do list.  Somehow, though, children don't seem to get this memo.  No matter how busy the day at hand is Levi will still wake up talking about stickers and his house.  So, I'm trying to come up with what I like to call easy-peasy-crazy-day activities...things that are super simple yet still special enough to keep us focused on the season.  Today, is one of those days, so last night I wrapped up a new Christmas book and put it in front of his house.  The wrapping was simple...just reused tissue paper and ribbon from previous celebrations with a snowflake tag.  I think wrapping up small gifts makes them much more special.  Don't you agree? Oh, and the book?  I so might regret this one, but I bought him The Little Fir Tree...What is it about motherhood that turns a gal so sappy?  I teared up while reading it in the bookstore, and this morning...yep, you guessed it, I teared up again while reading it to Levi.  Oh. my.  Just what the munchkin needs...a weepy mama for Christmas.

I'm expecting at least a couple of really busy days a week, but so far my easy peasy ideas are a little limited.
~I have one more Christmas book to give him, and will probably end up buying a couple more to throw into the mix.
~I'm also on the lookout for a pretty, kid-friendly, and pocket-book friendly nativity set for him to play with.
~And, I'm thinking an all day Christmas music fest would be kind of fun.  The music can travel with us and, ahem, requires zero effort on my part.  

Okay, your turn.  Help this mama out...what are your easy-peasy-crazy-day Advent ideas? 

3 comments:

  1. The little fir tree sounds good, we will have to pick it up. One of our favorite books is The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. Levi might be a little young for it but you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you find the nativity. I would love to get one for the dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do wish we had a pause button for this time of year...or that I was better at planning ahead, there are just so many things I want to do with the kids!

    One super easy thing we'll do is go out driving one night to look at the Christmas lights, and if I'm on the ball we'll have some special treat to eat while we drive.

    And something I'm finally doing after wanting to for several years, is lighting a candle in our advent wreath every night at supper. Such a simple thing, but it's so lovely as it somehow helps us to pause as we eat together and take a moment to remember what this time of year is really about.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!