Sunday, November 29, 2009

And The Count Begins

Just in case you've been on the edge of your seats wondering what I decided to do about that last minute DIY Advent calendar....well, for the sake of my own sanity, I didn't stitch one up. But, I did still make one.
In the end, the paper Christmas mural above my sofa was targeted as the new Advent calendar. (Please excuse the lousy photos. I tried and tried, and this was seriously the best of the bunch...sad...I know. Where the black ring came from, I can't figure out. And, that's so not the color of my wall.)
Instead of giving Levi candies or toys each day, I opted to make small, numbered ornaments for him to decorate the mural with. Each one has a Christmas related activity written on the back. We already have a wooden Advent calendar, so I put the ornaments in their corresponding boxes. Each day he opens a box. If he's into the activity we do it...if not I'm up for something new. Afterward, I stick a bit of tape on the ornament, and he places it on one of the trees in the mural. He's totally into stickers, so this is his favorite part. Can you believe how neatly he placed that #1?!
If you're digging this idea, but you aren't so keen on cutting out an entire snowy scene, there is still hope. Just cut out a paper or cardboard tree, and attach it to a door or wall with painter's tape.
Create the ornaments by gluing together scrap paper circles and squares. Grab a marker and you're good to go on the numbers.
You don't have a wooden Advent calendar? No problem! There's more than one way to skin a cat.
~Put the ornaments in small, numbered envelopes.
~Hide them around the house and have a scavenger hunt each day.
~Place them under your child's pillow tooth fairy style.
~Or just dole them out one at a time.
The delivery methods are endless. Let me know what fabulous ideas y'all come up with.

Hope Advent is off to great start!

6 comments:

  1. OMGosh! Too stinkin' cute. I love it.

    I guess I have on more day to pick up the calendars and then I'll be late like every other year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely forgot about advent calenders, ahh, I usually do something. You think your, really cute by the way, idea was last minute, I've got tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff! I was also caught out. Um, just think envelopes, double sided tape, fabric, badly cut out stars. And then a whole heap of fun (I hope) activities to do after dinner each day. Um...winging it here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally digging the idea! Advent calendars are a Christmas tradition for me but I've never tried making one before. Maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!