Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Jambies

I made Levi a new pair of "jambie" bottoms...that's Levi speak for pajamas.
They were incredibly easy. I found a pair of men's flannel pajama pants at a thrift store. After washing them...of course...I laid a pair of Levi's jambie bottoms on top of the thrifted pair making sure to line up the crotches. I cut the new pair a little bigger to leave room for the two side seams, leg hems, and the elastic band at the top. The top needs the most wiggle room to accommodate the elastic. All that requires though is a couple of extra inches at the top and then making a straight cut up the sides instead of tapering. Then I turned them inside out, pinned them together and sewed up the sides. After that I ironed and pinned the hems just to make sure they sat at the same level, and then I sewed them up. Last, I topped it off with an elastic waistband. I'm not going to attempt to describe that one because in reality I have no idea how to sew in a waistband. I just took some elastic and did whatever looked right. I'm sure though that if you have more patience than I do (which doesn't take much) then you could find a good tutorial via the great Google. The nice part is that since these were men's pajamas there's plenty of fabric leftover for other projects...all for a whopping $2.
Levi loves his new jambies, and I must say I'm pretty smitten with them too! Hmmm...now I'm eyeing some of my maternity jambies. Bet some of the less girly ones would do nicely for this little project.

8 comments:

  1. Aren't you clever and thrifty?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are so cute. they look really nice and comfy too. I really need to start sewing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww, he looks like such a little man. Great job Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea. your boy is really growing up- he looks bigger somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you are so crafty and clever I love it! I made my son some jams too before the baby came along, but I wouldn't have thought to make them out of bigger jambies! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh,I am wanting to do this very thing for my boys. Soon, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good sewing Mama! They look great cruising around on that little bike especially!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!