Thursday, September 3, 2009

Explorations Continued

We took a family day trip to one of our favorite childhood haunts last weekend. Rocky Springs is a pretty little creek on the Natchez Trace. I can't count the number of times my brother, sister, and I played here. We absolutely loved this place....still do. It's perfect for little ones. The water is shallow, and there are naturally formed little kiddie pools sprinkled throughout. There's even a little sandbank. Levi thought it was the beach...
We caught vanilla beetles...that's not their actual name, but they smell like vanilla. Okay, so if you really want to be grossed out it's more than likely their pee that smells like vanilla. Yes, we were strange children....completely and utterly fascinated by smelly water beetles. It probably explains a lot about what we're like as adults.
On a less gross note, we chased butterflies. There were tons of them. We also did lots of damselfly chasing. You can check one of those out here.
My siblings and I like this creek because of the bugs and the water. My parents come here for the rocks. Seriously, they like rocks. I guess it's not as crazy as liking bugs.
Levi got into the whole rock hunting bit too. Although, I don't think he caught on that he was supposed to be looking for agates and fossils. He just likes the noise two rocks make when bashed together.
A cute little baby toad that entertained us for quite some time. Levi is fascinated by such critters.
Believe it or not, this is a waterfall. I know, right, where's the water? Hmmmm...Something about damming up rivers, etc. kinda messed that up. If you come after a big rain you can see more than just the tiny trickle here. And if you like heights you can stand on top of it. I don't like heights, so you get the pic from beneath. That's Annie and Levi in that cozy little nook...
We took about a kabillion pictures...which is why I was so slow getting them posted. It was just so darn hard to pick out my favorites! If you missed the initial post click here.
So, what was your favorite childhood haunt? Have you taken your munchkin there yet? I'd love to hear about it!

11 comments:

  1. what a lovely day exploring! seems like it was perfectly delightful.
    soak up the last droplets of summer!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in a completely different area of the country from where we grew up so it is weird to not take them to those special places.

    We will have to find new ones!

    So sad about the waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a perfect day! I love the rocks and bugs. I'd probably be chasing the frogs or toads too, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. All the joys of childhood and nature rolled into one.


    Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I would get along famously. I really think you're such a sweetheart of a person. And the love for your son shines through.

    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Nell! What a compliment. :) I completely agree that we would get along famously.
    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've taken Ronan to a favorite childhood destination, but Calum is still a bit young. During our late elementary-aged years, my family and two others would head out to a special mom and pop hotel on Daytona Beach every summer (once a Floridian...). It's a family-friendly place and we're excited to start the next generation of family gatherings there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like such a fun "exploring spot." My 3-year-old would love visiting a place like that.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how lovely! Just my kind of adventure - a day spent in nature, slow-paced, taking time to just look and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love the idea of passing on natural treasures and places from our hearts to our little ones. What a pretty place that looks....so great for a boy to explore....full of bugs and rocks...nothin' better!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!