Saturday, July 25, 2009

Who Needs A Zoo When You've Got A Backyard?

As we were walking home a few nights ago we spotted this....
I know it looks like just a turtle, but do you see that hole in the ground that she's sitting on? She's laying eggs right next to my house! It was getting dark, and my camera is none too spiffy in the evening, so this was the best photo I could get. But, how terrifically cool is that?!! We put up a little fence around her eggs to prevent lawnmower damage. Now every time we pass the fence Levi says, "Ecks, ecks, turle, turle." (Eggs, eggs, turtle, turtle) And, yes he generally repeats everything twice.
The great Google tells me that land turtle eggs can take anywhere between 45 and 90 days to hatch. The amount of time is dependent on weather conditions, species, etc. That's a stinkin' long time to wait to see little munchkin turtles. Hope nothing digs them up first. That would be a real letdown. I'm kind of looking forward to the little critters emerging one fine day. Oooo...I so hope I'm there with camera in hand.

7 comments:

  1. Wow that is awesome. What a wonderful thing to be able to share with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. You're going to have to set a Turtle Cam, complete with infrared hatchery sensors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hope they hatch! We had a turtle do that too, protected them from the lawn mower just like you, and then nothing happened. Hope you have better luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that? My 2-year-old would go crazy over it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow now that is super exciting!! and very cool, yes.
    Yeah my little guy repeats everything...sometimes more than twice and at TOP VOLUME just in case you didn't quite catch it the second third fourth time... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is awesome! I would be so happy if Henry found a turtle in our yard BUT a turtle laying eggs? That's too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might want to protect them from raccoons and such. Check out this site: http://www.marietta.edu/~mcshaffd/boxt/eggs.html

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!