Monday, December 8, 2008

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

I just finished a very crazy day of teaching. In my first class of 4 and 5 year olds, two of the little girls were imitating their Grandma who apparently may be a bit liberal with the drinks and has a VERY southern accent. "Huneeee, po' may anotha glaaass o' wine." was the most frequently repeated phrase. Although, from their lips wine became a fifty syllable word. That was the tame class.
It was my second class that really threw the curve balls. There's a little boy in that class who really likes to shock people, but he generally sticks to tame words like snot and puke. This time in the middle of class, he says "penis." No context-just shouts it out. Before I had time to blink, all the other kids start shouting it out as well, and it's obvious that none of them know what they're saying. When I told them they needed to move along to another word, one of the girls says, "Is penis a bad word?" The best response I could come up with was, "No, hunny, but it's not a word you use when you're in a group of people." I can't wait to field the phone calls that will probably result from that little episode.
Once that fiasco got under control and everyone was back to their drawings, I looked up to see two little boys, the penis culprit included, spitting on the carpet. WHAT? They so know better than that. Arghh! To time out they went, and surprisingly I didn't get an "I'm not going to be your friend anymore." from either one of them. I guess they've given up on being my friend, because generally that's the response I get to time out.
So, now I'm going to play with my little baby, who thankfully doesn't come out with such show stopping antics...yet.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes!! Those are quite the kids you've got there! I think the way you handled it was good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! The girls imitating their grandmother cracked me up. Kids pick up everything!

    I did not know that Kat and Rupa were engaged! That's so exciting! Im thinking I need to start a facebook to keep in touch with ppl, even though i've tried to stay away!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!