Thursday, August 7, 2008

Solving Reflux

When Levi was a little over 4 months old I got the scare of my life. It was late in the evening. I remember almost going home earlier but deciding to stay at my parents' instead. It must have been God telling me to stay because I sure didn't have any other reason. I'm so glad I listened.
Levi had been a tad fussy, but nothing out of the ordinary. We tried a few things, and he seemed happiest in his bouncy seat. I was on the couch across from him, and my dad was in a chair next to him when Levi began violently throwing up--far worse than anything I'd ever seen. I dashed over to him, sat him upright, and began unbuckling him. As I was unbuckling him, he stopped throwing up and started turning blue. My dad grabbed Levi, put him over his knees and popped him on the back until he started crying. Levi's birth was the only other time I can say that I've been so grateful to hear him cry.
He was still gray and lethargic afterwards, so we took him to the emergency room to make sure his lungs were clear. After an x-ray and a few tests, Levi was cleared to go home. The doctor said that Levi probably had a reflux problem and gave us some tips on preventing future occurrences. One of those tips was to ditch the bouncy seat for something that would keep Levi completely upright. He also said to feed him more frequently but for shorter lengths of time. I followed all the advice--new infant seat (for the rare occasion that he actually sat in one), different nursing schedule--and started wearing him more frequently as well. I was already very into babywearing, but I became more convinced of it's benefits at this point. He still spit up with frequency, but nothing so alarming as almost dying.
Until...fast forward to 6 months old. I started him on food. I even made the food myself--nothing boxed or jarred for my babe. I should have guessed that he wasn't ready. He just didn't seem interested. I never forced him to eat, but I kept offering. Finally he would open his mouth and take a few bites. Nana even commented once that he didn't eat like we did when we were babies. She said she couldn't shovel it in fast enough to make us happy. I still kept trying. Finally he got up to eating a tablespoon or two in a sitting. Yay!--I thought. But when he finally got up to that tablespoon or two he started violently throwing up again--no turning blue thank the heavens. Still terrifying though. Once you've seen your kid turn blue, anything that reminds you of it will make your heart clench in fear.
I'd read that food would help a babies reflux, not so in my sweet angel's case. It just irritated the heck out of his poor little tummy. So, thanks to some advice from my mom and the Marvelous Kiddo's Grandma mixed in with some internet research, I decided no more food. Don't worry, it's just for a while. I'm not starving my baby. I had some vague feeling that maybe 6 months was just some arbitrary number and not a set in stone by God kind of rule. And what do you know, babies can still flourish on strictly breast milk after 6 months.
Levi will be a very chunky, healthy 9 month old soon, and he's usually reflux free. He has occasional bouts, but nothing like the volcanic puking that food brought on. For those of you, who are like me and had no idea it was possible not to introduce food at six month, it is. Babies can go a full year without introducing food (provided of course that you're willing and able to breastfeed frequently). I don't know what I thought mothers did in countries where babyfood isn't readily available. My out of the box thinking skills aren't always plugged in.
I do know that Levi and I have a very special situation that enables us to do this. I am terribly grateful to my momma for being willing to put her own life on hold to be Levi's travelling babysitter. She knows this is what's best for Levi, and she has enabled me to do this for him. A special and heartfelt thank you to her.

2 comments:

  1. I think you're right to wait on the food and trust your mama instincts. Our pediatrician wanted Fly to start solids (just cereal) at 3.5 months. We tried that for a while, but he had reflux too, and I decided to wait until he was 6 months. Eating was much better for him then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you (and others) writing about experiences like this. I think learning through others' experiences is so valuable. I'd like to think that knowing what to look for and what others have done in similar situations will help me to be a better mommy one day. Thanks so much for the sweet comment you left on my last post. I have been thinking about starting up something at home. I'm going to try to promote my cakes and cookies a little more and I've been thinking about maybe making some aprons and such and selling them at the community market on Saturdays. I guess if they don't sell well, I can give them away as Christmas gifts.
    I hope you and Levi have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!