Friday, March 25, 2011

She Wears Small Dresses


Starlet in the making.

When I was pregnant with Levi, I hoped he would be a boy. When I got pregnant with Sophia, I was hoping for a boy again. It sounds terrible, but it's true. Raising a girl...being a girl's mom...that intimidated me beyond words. The weight of raising a girl to become a woman felt like too much. I wasn't sure how to teach someone to be a thing that I was still striving to be "good" at.
I tried to push all of these thoughts back and just be happy with whatever God gave me. But, the thoughts persisted right up to her birth.
.
.
.
And, then she was here. Those thoughts were quickly forgotten as my heart wrapped tight around her. Now I look at her and all I can think is what a blessing it is to have a girl...my girl!
I get to raise a girl and do girly things and teach her how to be a girl and eventually a woman.
I'm surprised by what a joy that is.

As I wrote this, I was reminded of something Levi said about her a few months ago:

"Mama, I wuv her. She wears small dwesses."
Translation: "Mama, I love her. She wears small dresses."

11 comments:

  1. That is so precious....small dwesses.

    What a blessing those two are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly my thoughts when we had Paige... the girl thing.
    Small dresses... oh my :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Levi!

    Raising a girl sounds like a challenge for sure. I am glad to have two boys, but some part of me still wants a girl. In small dwesses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i say the same thing, mostly because growing up girls never liked ME, i've never been delecate or graceful and girls seem more naturally emotionally magnified(well most that i have known and i did day care so it was allot!!!) and as jaim is so mellow (compared to the others)such a daddies boy i'm hoping that if i have another boy or my dream, a muddy mass of romping boys, maybe i'll know what to do with them, because girls BAFFLE ME... but if for some reason God gives me a daughter i'll know that she was mad for me...

    i'm guessing the next will be a girl, lately i think God is intent on growing me...


    if she happens to be as cute as miss fia... well that wouldn't hurt either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, so sweet. I think you're doing a GREAT job as a mama to your little girl, especially with your crafty skills! Don't you just love having one of each?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just read this again and it made me cry again. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just read this again and it made me cry again. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh bless! All of you! I'm still dealing with that responsibility with my girl... oh yes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that you wrote this. I want to have more children, but I frightened at the thought of raising a daughter. I do not have a great relationship with my own mother, and I think that adds a lot to my fears. Thank you for sharing and easing my fears a bit.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!