Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Invasion Of The Moths

My porch has been inundated with these giant yellow and brown moths. Can you spot 5 of them in the picture below?
The other morning I woke up to SEVEN of these things on my porch....maybe it's just the biblical number, but it sounds to me like something out of an Old Testament dream. There were 7 giant moths (moths I've never noticed hanging around until this year). They stayed all day long. Two of them died the next day. One flew away. More have come to replace them. It really sounds like it should mean something.
.
.
.
Of course, I took photos of each of the original 7. Avert your eyes if you have a moth phobia. ;)

These two were on my door frame:
This one was on the opposite side of the frame:
This one was hanging out under the porch light:
And, this one on the window screen:
This one on the porch screen:
And, this one was tucked away behind the leg of a stool:
I'm telling you it was nearing eerie. Every time we walked on to the porch Levi would say, "Wow!" And, then he'd start trying to count them...."One, do, sic...."

9 comments:

  1. Let's see. I think I only see 4. One on the window, one on the wall, and two on the door. Where is the 5th one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen pictures of that moth before but don't know what kind it is. You might find it here:

    http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map?ds=25&_dcs=1

    if you don't mind clicking a lot. ;)

    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's crazy! I don't mind looking at moths...but once they start that wild flying around...that's when I put my head under a pillow! haha. For some reason I always think they'll get caught in my hair....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um. The Mr (with the moth phobia) just walked in and freaked and walked out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are crazy! I love that boys think bugs are cool and not creepy. Henry is always saying "it's ok mama, you can pick up the bug if you want to" No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewwww. I don't have a phobia per se, but I don't care for them. I've squished about 7 in our bathroom in the last week. I hope when the remodel is done they go away too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty amazing, but I don't know if I'd want them all over the place. Better than wasps and spiders, though, that's for sure.

    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  8. eeek ... as a knitter I cringe at the thought of moths!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow they are pretty...and big.
    I love how nature surprises you with odd creature appearances every now and then....even if they are only good for counting..."one...do...sic" Adorable!!
    Last year we had Rhino beetles...hundreds!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!