Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Garden Happiness

Our mint is blooming. I love the delicate fuzzy purple flowers. From a distance, they're really nothing spectacular...but when you get up close it's like a whole new, quirky, little world.
The zucchini is FINALLY producing more than just an abundance of flowers. Hallelujah! Thank you rain!! Can you see that little zucchini tucked away in the jumble of stalks? Yummy is what that is.
And, just a little gardening tip for those of you who have a problem with birds eating your fruits and veggies. Buy a whole bunch of shiny pinwheels. They must be shiny for this to work. Surround your precious babies...er, I mean plants...with all the shininess. These are actually silver on one side...
It worked for us. I like to let my tomatoes ripen on the vine, but that seems to be an open invitation for birds to peck at them. This year, no bird problems. Yippee! For those of you who cringe at the idea of tons of shiny pinwheels in your garden you might try hanging mirrors. I also tied shiny strips of some plasticy paper to the tomato cages.
So, what's happening in your garden...or even just in your windowsill?

10 comments:

  1. Huh, I never knew mint bloomed! Beautiful "babies."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. I need to get out and check our garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cucumbers are happening, lots and lots of cucumbers

    ReplyDelete
  4. your zucchini is great all I have this year is tons of orange flowers not a squash in site, oh well. last year I had squash and nothing else this year its tomatoes and nothing else, guess I have a one plant garden:-)

    though I do have tons of mint it is pretty invasive and is all over but it smells wonderful, an you konw my dog lies in it all the time and he has not had one flea this year I am wondering if its a natural repelent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, what's happening in my neighbors garden is that two tomato plants spawned into my yard! So now 'I' have little grean beauties growing!! :) and with out any work whatsoever. This is my kind of garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is positively blooming! Excellent to hear the heavens finally smiled down on you (and then opened).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, mint. I wish we had some. One of the best smells in the world. my garden is good, but kind of overwhelming. I totally should have grown the tomatoes in cages, not staked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! We built a cage out of mesh to put over our square garden. It's good for the shorter plants and keeps the critters from eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I say *yay* to a combintaion of veges and whimsy! Your zucc's are looking great! Fingers crossed for mine...I'm a first timer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No garden yet, but hopefully soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here!