Thursday, July 3, 2014

Birthday

Yesterday I turned 33....another spin around the sun. Yesterday also happened to be Stephan's first day back to work since Joshua was born, and Sophia had been vomiting the entire day before. I was certain that it was going to be the worst day ever.  I was sure that I would end the day in tears feeling totally defeated. I was wrong. A friend of mine reminded me that God is always ready to get into the dirty work with us...to get into the trenches. That reminder that I didn't have to go it alone was such a blessing to me. I prayed the night before, and then I made a cake because how can a day go wrong when you start it out with cake for breakfast?
 
Untitled  
 
Untitled  

After Stephan headed off to work, the kids and I tidied up a bit and took a walk. Then I did what I would never ever normally think to do on a potentially stressful day. I let the kids paint....including Lillian.
 
Untitled  
 
Untitled  
 
Untitled  
 
Untitled  
 
Untitled  
 
Untitled  
 
They had so much fun that I didn't even care that Lillian dumped water everywhere and got more paint on her (and maybe even in her) than on her paper. While the kids painted I managed to pull together a pretty decent lunch for us, and we spent the rest of the afternoon reading and playing. My sister picked up supper for us on her way back from work, and we all ate together at Nanno and BawBaw's house. Levi and Sophia told me all day long that they loved my birthday. Truth be told I kind of loved it too.

 (gratuitous baby photo...because he's too cute to leave out of a post.)
I had to put away some of his newborn clothes today. He's outgrown most of them already. Sniff. Sniff.  

2 comments:

I'm so glad you're here!